Pin Busters! D-I-Y Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner



I really wanted to try this Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner I saw on Pinterest because I love anything citrus - I think it just smells so clean and fresh. Plus, I really don't like the smell of vinegar, so I was hoping this would allow me to use vinegar without smelling it, LOL.

The recipe pinned on Pinterest was by Sandra at her Freshly Simple blog. The first thing I noticed was that it was very similar to the regular All-Purpose Cleaner that I had already made, so I decided to use Sandra's idea for infusing the vinegar with lemon, but instead of using her recipe, I would substitute the lemon vinegar for the white vinegar in the All-Purpose Cleaner.

{enjoy the view} Lemon All-Purpose Cleaner 
(click here for a printable version)

1 tsp. borax
1 tsp. washing soda
1/2 c. lemon-infused vinegar
2 c. hot water
30 drops of lemon essential oil 
24 oz spray bottle 


To infuse the vinegar with lemon, you just cut up a lemon (or use the ends & rind), put it in a jar (I used a mason jar), fill to the top with white vinegar, and put on the lid. Then you just leave it sit for 7-14 days. Once it's finished "infusing", you just strain the vinegar and get rid of the lemon.

Tip: I like to cut the lemon up into small pieces and feed it into my garbage disposal. I get a fresh garbage disposal, a kitchen that smells like lemons, and I've gotten rid of the lemon rinds. A 3-for-1 win!

Now to test the product. I tested it on the dirty, greasy stove, the Corian countertop, and the front of the dishwasher and refrigerator.


Stove: No good here. It doesn't cut the grease at all. I tried it with a paper towel and also with a microfiber cloth. It just left smears.
Corian countertop: Works well here. It takes a while to dry, but it left the counters looking nice.
Dishwasher & fridge: Works well here, too. Removed dirty fingerprints and some drips - and even though some of the grime was slightly greasy, it removed it with a little elbow grease and a microfiber cloth.

Scent: I really didn't notice the vinegar much, and I could detect a slight lemon scent.


The verdict: Sort of Pin-worthy. It's okay. I'm not thinking "Oh my gosh, I can never be without this stuff!", but it's okay. I don't think I'll make it again.

After using this cleaner, I grabbed my most favorite cleaner out of all the ones I've made so far - the D-I-Y Floor Cleaner. Even though I made it for the floor, I love it for pretty much everything - and look how shiny the stove is now!


I think one of my upcoming posts will be one where I compare all the cleaners I've made so far. I don't think I need to have 5 or 6 different cleaners, so I'm hoping to narrow it down to 2 or 3.

What's your favorite D-I-Y cleaner?

Kim
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!!